Below are citations and links to scholarly references and acknowledgements supporting the concepts and ideas of The Radical Middle DHH.
- Maiorana-Basas (2019). Stronger together: Finding community and common-unity in deaf education. Raising and Educating Deaf Children: Foundations for Policy, Practice, and Outcomes. Retrieved from: http://www.raisingandeducatingdeafchildren.org/2019/01/31/stronger-together-finding-community-and-common-unity-in-deaf-education/
- Maiorana-Basas, M. (2018). A shift to the middle: Redefining the community of practice for deaf educators. Odyssey 19, 4-9. READ IT HERE
- Kennedy, S. (Spring 2017). The Radical Middle: Starting a Movement. Hands and Voices Communicator 20(3).
- Easterbrooks, S., & Maiorana-Basas, M. (2015). Literacy and Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Students: Research to Practice. In Educating Deaf Learners Creating a Global Evidence Base (1st ed., p. 688). New York: Oxford University Press.
Buy the book HERE!
- Maiorana-Basas, M. (2019). Radical perspectives in collaboration: How we can support one another. Invited presentation: SKI-HI Training, Saint Augustine, FL.
- Voss, J. (Dec 12, 2018). What is The Radical Middle? Am I there? Do I want to be there?. Student Academy of Audiology, Washington University Program in Audiology & Communication Sciences: St. Louis, Missouri.
- Maiorana-Basas, M (2018). Collaboration should never feel “radical”: A New approach for moving forward in deaf education. Keynote presentation: Florida Educators for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Conference, Daytona, FL.
- Maiorana-Basas, M. (2018). “Radically” reshaping professional practice in deaf education. Keynote presentation and full day Professional Development Seminar, APSEA Annual Inservice, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
- Maiorana-Basas. M. (2018). The Radical Middle. Webinar for RMTC-TA Live.
- Trussell, J. W. (October, 2017). The Middle: A Place for Unity and Collaboration in Deaf Education. Presented at the Partnerships in Deaf Education Conference. Rome, NY.
- Maiorana-Basas, M. (Fall, 2017). Politics and pedagogy: How we lost our way in deaf education. Scholarship 20/20 Presentation, Flagler College, Saint Augustine, FL
- Maiorana-Basas, M. (2017, January). We are in this together: Building bridges within and beyond the D/deaf community. Flagler College Community Lecture Series, Saint Augustine, FL.
Community Lecture Series Press Release, Saint Augustine Record (link to press release, HERE)
Community Lecture Series Full Presentation (captioned and interpreted in ASL)
- Voss, J. (November 1, 2017). What is The Radical Middle? Am I there? Do I want to be there? Central Institute for the Deaf Professional Development. St. Louis, MO.
- Maiorana-Basas, M. (2016, November). Finding the middle: A move towards unity and partnership in deaf education. Keynote presentation at the Achieving a Shared Vision: Success for Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing Conference, Flint, MI. (Link to presentation, HERE)
- 22nd International Congress on the Education of the Deaf (ICED 2015) Socratic Discussion Sessions.
- Easterbrooks, S. (2014). Keynote speaker. Literacy development in DHH children from the Radical Middle. 1st International Conference on Teaching Deaf Learners (ICTDL), Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Maiorana-Basas, M. (2019). “Radical” Collaboration in Deaf Education: Strategies for Moving Forward, Together. Roy Holcomb Distinguished Lecturer Keynote Presentation: American Society for Deaf Children (ASDC) conference, Newark, DE.
- Maiorana-Basas, M. (2018). Building professional partnerships in deaf education: Finding the middle. Presentation: Florida CEC conference, Ponte Vedra, FL.
- Maiorana-Basas, M. (2018). A”radical” trend for change in deaf education: The art of being an expert. Presentation: Best Practices in Mainstreaming Conference, Rochester, NY.
- Cannon, J. C. , Maiorana-Basas, M., Guardino, C., Beal, J., Voss, J. and Ballard, M. (2018). The Radical Middle: Collaborative research that reaches all students. Presentation: Association of College Educators- Deaf/Hard of Hearing National Conference (ACE-DHH), Tucson, AZ
- Maiorana-Basas, M. (2017). The Radical Middle: How professionals in deaf education are making a commitment to working better, together. Presentation: The O.U.R. Children’s Safety Project Monthly Call, Hands and Voices, November 14, 2017.
- Maiorana-Basas, M. (2017). A Journey to the Middle: Going Beyond Modality and Embracing Partnership Across Philosophy. Presentation: Florida Educators of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Conference (FEDHH), Daytona, FL.
- Maiorana-Basas, M., Beal-Alvarez, Guardino, C., J., Rivera, C., Trussell, J., Voss, J. (2017). Finding the Middle: A Radical Perspective on Research and Practice. Presentation and Panel: Association of College Educators- Deaf/ Hard of Hearing National Conference (ACE-DHH), San Antonio, TX
TRM “Mentions” in Publications and Presentations
- Guardino, C., & Cannon, J. E. (2019). Approaches and frameworks that support students who are d/Deaf or hard of hearing with a disability(ies). In C. Guardino, & J. E. Cannon (Eds.), Deafness and diversity (Volume I): Supporting students who are d/Deaf or hard of hearing with a disability. Washington, D.C.: Gallaudet University Press.
- Guardino, C. & Cannon, J. E. (2019). Cycles of Support and Tenets of Effective Practice with Learners who are d/Deaf or hard of hearing with Disabilities In C. Guardino, & J. E. Cannon (Eds.), Deafness and diversity (Volume I): Supporting students who are d/Deaf or hard of hearing with a disability. Washington, D.C.: Gallaudet University Press.
- Guardino, C., Beal-Alvarez, J., Cannon, J.E., Voss, J., & Bergeron, J.P. (2018). Case Studies in Deaf Education: Inquiry, Application, and Resource. Washington, DC: Gallaudet University Press.
Purchase the book, HERE.
- Gardener-Walsh, S. & Lenihan, S. (2017). Communication Options. In S. Lenihan (ED.), Preparing to Teach, Committing to Learn: An Introduction to Educating Children who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing. (ebook) Logan, Utah: National Center for Hearing Assessment and Management.
View the ebook, HERE.
- Guardino, C., & Cannon, J.E., (Eds.). (2016). Deafness and Diversity: Reflections and Directions. [Special Issue]. American Annals of the Deaf, 161(1), 104-112.